Dear Faculty and Students,
The 4’th Edition of the Ingram School of Nursing Faculty and Student Handbook is released!! The following is a summary of key changes/updates:
- All web-links updated
- Colleagueship name changed to Nursing Graduate Student Association
- GRIISIQ change to RIISIQ (http://rrisiq.com/)
- Major updates on the section ‘Social Media’ (p. 14 – 15) to include specific instructions NOT to post patient photos or data on line as well as other ‘what not to do’ when using Facebook or Twitter or the like. In addition, there is now a section on how to assess your personal social media site and make sure it is ‘clean’ (good ideas for everyone!). These updates are based on new Faculty of Medicine guidelines.
- The three additions to the Scope of Practice for Nurses in QC have been added.
- (15) deciding to use isolation measures in accordance with the Act respecting health services and social services (chapter S-4.2) and the Act respecting health services and social services for Cree Native persons (chapter S-5);
- (16) assessing mental disorders, except mental retardation, if the nurse has the university degree and clinical experience in psychiatric nursing care required under a regulation made in accordance with paragraph g of section 14; and
- (17) assessing a child not yet admissible to preschool education who shows signs of developmental delay, in order to determine the adjustment and rehabilitation services required.
- BNI program of study over 2 or 3 years updated and maximum time to completion of degree changed from 5 to 4 years.
- Names/positions updated e.g., Pozzuto as NSAO; L. McHarg as MSC program director, etc..
- First Year Office renamed to “Campus Life and Engagement” as of September 2013
- Updates re criminal reference check and that more and more agencies requiring this including requirement to self declare on ‘Criminal Background Verification Form’ by Agence.
- New guidelines re hand hygiene as per 2013 Public Health Agency of Canada Hand Hygiene Practices in Health Care Settings http://www.chica.org/pdf/2013_PHAC_Hand%20Hygiene-EN.pdf
- Supplemental exams can now be written by any student with CGPA > 2.0 who is in Satisfactory Standing (the previous regulation had variations of CGPA from 2.2 – 2.3 and these restrictions created too many administrative challenges and exceptions were being made so we have reverted to the university regulation); the section on advising students re pros/cons of doing supplemental exam vs redoing the course has been augmented to ensure good decision making.
- In the event of an appealed grade, the reread fee is now reimbursed if the reread results in an increase in the grade.
Guidelines for study away have been updated and the difference between IUT and Study Away highlighted (page 25).
- The discussion on who is eligible to complete a minor degree in anther faculty has been augmented and the new ‘form’ has been added (p. 27).
- Details re OIIQ licensing exam changes have been updated based on removal of OSCE section of the exam as of September 2014 sitting.
- Naming of Ingram School of Nursing, the Susan E. French Chair in Nursing Research, and the Collaborative explained! (p. 61)
- Minor edits of the ’10 Rights of Medication Administration’ (p. 67)based on Kozier, B., Erb, G., Berman, A., Buck, M., Yiu, L., & Stamler, L. L. (Eds.) (2014). Fundamentals of Canadian Nursing. Canadian 3nd ed. Toronto: Pearson Education Canada.
As in any document with so much information, errors or omissions may have occurred. Please let me know if you find any.
I hope the document is helpful to you in some way!